Travel Documents for DACA Recipients

If you have received deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, you can get an advance parole document with which you can travel abroad. This document will help you travel abroad and return legally to the U.S. If you travel abroad with this document, you will not lose your deferred action status.

However, you cannot apply for advance parole while your application for DACA is pending. You can file Form I-131, Application for Travel Document to get an advance parole document only after your request for DACA is approved. Your request for DACA will be terminated if you travel abroad without advance parole, while your DACA application is pending.

DACA recipients can travel abroad for educational, employment and humanitarian purposes. For example, you can travel abroad to attend interviews, meetings, conferences, for academic research, to obtain medical treatment, to attend funerals or to visit a sick family member. You will not be allowed to travel abroad for tourism or vacation with advance parole.

Though you can obtain travel documents to travel abroad, these documents alone do not guarantee your safe return. If the immigration officer at the U.S. port of entry thinks that you are inadmissible into the U.S. for health or security reasons, you will not be granted entry into the U.S., even if you hold an advance parole document.

To apply for a travel document, you will need to file Form I-131, along with a proof that you have received DACA or that your application is approved, copy of a photo identity document, such as a driver’s license and the correct application filing fee. Along with your application for DACA, you must also submit documentary evidence to support the purpose you claim.

If your application for advance parole is accepted, you will receive Form I-512L, Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the United States, from the USCIS. You need to show this document to the authorities before you leave the country and when you return. These advance parole documents will be valid only for a certain time period and before these documents expire, you must get back to the U.S.