Form N-565 – Replace Naturalization/Citizenship Document

The purpose of Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document, is to apply for a replacement of a citizenship or naturalization certificate. This form can also be used to get a lost, stolen or mutilated Declaration of Intention or Repatriation Certificate replaced or to apply for a special naturalization certificate.

A naturalization certificate is an official document that will be issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to immigrants who gain U.S. citizenship through the naturalization process after oath ceremony. USCIS issues Certificate of Citizenship to people who acquire or derive citizenship from their U.S. citizen parent(s). Early immigrants who applied for citizenship were required to file a Declaration of Intention or Repatriation to declare their intention to become U.S. citizens and give up their previous citizenship. This requirement ended in 1952 but immigrants can still file a declaration is they prefer to do so.

If you lose your naturalization certificate or your citizenship certificate, you can get your lost document replaced by filing Form I-565 with USCIS. You are not allowed hold two naturalization or citizenship certificates and so you will need to submit supporting documents to support the reason for which you are requesting a replacement certificate.

If your document is outdated due to your name change, you can file this form to get your name changed on your document. However, to apply for a name change, you will need to prove that your name has been changed legally, by submitting your marriage certificate or a court order that shows your legal name change.

If you are filing the N-565 application to get your mutilated document replaced, you will need to file the application along with the mutilated document. In case you are filing the form to get a special certificate of naturalization, you will need to attach a copy of your certificate of naturalization along with your application.

This form must be filed with a $345 filing fee. You need to attach two passport-style photographs that meet the USCIS requirements to your application. USCIS will send you a receipt notice once it receives the completed application along with the fee and photographs. After approving your application, USCIS will mail your new certificate to you.