Employment Authorization Document

If you want to work in the U.S., you must obtain permission to do so. You will not be permitted to work if you are not authorized to work here. U.S. citizens and green card holders can legally work in the U.S. as their status permits them to work here.

Likewise, U.S. employers must not hire foreign nationals who do not have the permission to work in the U.S. Prior to hiring a worker, they need to make sure that the worker they are looking to hire is authorized to work here.

If you are not a U.S citizen or a green card holder, you need to get an employment authorization document that is also known as a work permit, to work in the U.S. To get this permit, you need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization along with the right filing fee and supporting documents. You may qualify for this document, if you belong to one of the following categories.

  • You can apply for a work permit if you hold a non-immigrant visa that permits you to work in the U.S.
  • Certain non-immigrant visas permit the holders to work in the U.S. for certain employers. If you hold one such non-immigrant visa, you may apply for a work permit.
  • You may qualify for an employment authorization document if you belong to a non-immigrant category that requires you to obtain this document to work in the U.S.

Employment authorization documents will help you to prove that you have the authorization to work in the U.S. USCIS grants these documents for a one year period.

You can either file the paper Form I-765 or file the form online. However, not all categories of applicants are eligible to file their applications online. You need to go through the form filing instructions and check whether you are eligible to file the form online.

Click here for more useful information on visa processing times, USCIS service center processing times and USCIS local office processing times.