Apply for Deferred Action Renewal Using the New Form I-821D

If you are a young immigrant who received deferred action status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you can now apply to renew your status for another two years.

Though deferred action will not provide you with lawful status, it will enable you to stay legally in the U.S. for two years. DACA will not only grant you a reprieve from deportation but also a renewable employment authorization document.

You must use the new version of Form I-821D, Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) to renew your status. This also applies to the initial applicants and we would like to remind them that they need to use Form I-821D with the revision date June 4, 2014 to apply for a renewal of their status.

The edition date of the application will be printed at the bottom of all the I-821D form pages. USCIS will not consider old forms and will reject previous versions even if the forms are filed with the right fee and the required supporting documents.

At the time of submitting your deferred action renewal request, you will need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and Form I-765WS, I-765WS, Worksheet. Without these two forms, your renewal request will not be accepted. Even if you do not wish to work here while on deferred action status you must file the three forms together.

DACA will not put you on a path to citizenship in the U.S. or for legal permanent resident status (green card status). But it will enable you to apply for a social security number and for a driver’s license. However, not all the American states allow the DACA recipients to get driver’s licenses. You can check the requirements of the state where you live and apply for a driver’s license if the state’s laws allow you to do so.