Alien Registration Number

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) assign Alien Registration Numbers (ARN) to non-U.S. citizens at the time of creating their A-files. These numbers are also known as A-numbers or Alien numbers.

If you are a legal permanent resident (green card holder), you can find this number on the front of your green card. This number will also be shown on the back of your card. A-numbers are unique seven, eight or nine digit numbers prefixed with the letter “A”. USCIS will indicate this number on all the documents and notices it issues to you. This number can be found on all the documents that were provided to you by USCIS as proof of your permanent resident status in the U.S.

This number will not be assigned to non-immigrants who hold temporary visas like tourist visas or H-1B visas. International students who hold F-1 visas will need to get work permits to work here. Employment authorization documents issued to these students will allow them to legally work in the U.S. These students who get work permits will be assigned A-numbers. They can find these numbers on their work permits.

A-numbers will be assigned to those applying for legal status through adjustment of status and to the others for whom immigrant petitions have been filed. These numbers are assigned by USCIS in order to identify and keep track of the non-U.S. citizens who apply for immigration benefits. ARN will help USCIS to identify permanent residents. These numbers are unique and are meant only for those who immigrate permanently to the U.S. A-numbers will not be assigned to non-immigrant visa holders who stay temporarily in the U.S.

For information on visa processing times, USCIS service center processing times, USCIS local office processing times and expected border wait times, please visit http://uscisprocessingtimes.org/